Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bull Run by Paul Fleischman

This historical fiction novel is formatted similarly to Fleischman's Seedfolks but with fewer connections evident among characters. I started reading the book by simply opening the front cover and beginning reading, so when I realized that different characters begin to narrate again on subsequent pages I found myself turning back to the character's previous story to try to make connections. Having an interest in music I chose to follow Toby Boyce's depictions of the war. It seemed that by his fifth narration he had matured and had seen enough of war to make one's toes curl. I also discovered a stark truth about myself. In reading and comparing the narrations of southern Flora Wheelworth and northern Lily Malloy I found myself identifying more closely with Flora. This realization surprised me, because I've always identified myself as a "transplanted Yankee," having grown up in my first 12 years in Massachusetts and New York. Flora's straightforward religious faith and resolve to stay strong seemed to show values that I try to live. Lily seemed to live a lonely life mentally distanced from her father and family. She so suffered the loss of Patrick, but she seemed not allowed nor able to share her emotions openly with her family. What a travesty! Yet in all my recent years visiting back in Massachusetts and New York I've noticed the same "aloofness" or "distance," if you will among members of some families. The close-knit bond is not as evident as that with families in the South. This is probably just my perception and opinion. I would hope it is really not so.

1 comment:

JulieAnne said...

I too had a litle more difficulty tracking the characters in this. Was there any character repeat in Seedfolks? I find it interesting that you followed Toby. I enjoyed reading about what his grandfather would say! Lily and Patrick were so sad to read about.