Thursday, April 26, 2007

Don't Know Much About American History by Kenneth C. Davis

An unusual format enticed me to pick up this book in the bookstore to check my knowledge of basic historical facts. Since I collaborate with a history teacher in grade 6 I'm always interested in finding catchy ways to provide outside reading for my students. This informational book published in 2003 includes updated information on George Bush's terms as President as well as the recent disaster of the falling of the twin towers in 2001. This book of ten chapters is formatted in question-answer format: Frequently-Asked-Questions about history are categorized into ten periods of history over 217 pages. I was surprised to find answers that were unknown to me. For example: In chapter 3 about the Growth of a Nation I realized that this country went eleven years without a president during the time when the Articles of Confederation were in effect. Living in the South for so many years, I never really wondered about the relationship between the Native Americans and the Pilgrims. I was surprised to learn that the response is "True" to the statement, "An Indian walked into Plymouth and said, 'Welcome, Englishment.'" The Algonquian chief Samoset initiated friendly relationships with the Pilgrims from the start. Later in the book I learned the interesting response to the question, "Were the 1990s an age of rage?" Surprisingly, that period of time was full of violent events: the Oklahoma City bombing, race-related violence in 1991 and 1992, and violence in schools with the Columbine shootings. How do you think the first decade of the 21st century compares with that period of time? The book seemed to be reliable and authentic in its design and its factual details. Thorough source notes are included in the bibliography, and an index and an appendix of Presidents and Vice Presidents is included in the back. At the front of the book is a table of contents and an introduction providing background for the author in stating the purpose of his writing this book. He intended to break the "boring" tone of history books and to make history come alive. Bravo! This is a must-read for history buffs who want to brush up on important times in history.

4 comments:

Hillary said...

The question answer format of your informational book seems very engaging. Kids are always full of questions so I can see that they would love to hear the answers to some questions they may have thought of at some point. As a learner, I think I would find reading a book in this format to be motivational because I could find pieces of information that caught my interest and get an immediate response to that interest. Did you think that some of the information was opinion (and not really historical)? For example, the idea that the 90s were a time of rage-- was this author's opinion or something substantiated by historians?

JulieAnne said...

I have this book but never thought of including it in my classroom library. Now, thanks to your recommendation, I think I will take this and the "Don't Know Much About Science" book I have, too!
Thanks for the great idea!

Tricia said...

Do you think this was an age appropriate book? I am having a hard time trying to find information books that might be useful for many grade levels (because I don't know which grade, if a grade, I'll be teaching in next year.) I also think the question and answer format would be great for students. They could even simply look for a question they themselves have and read the answer. This might also be a good resource for students doing research, a place for them to start.

Carolyn said...

Hillary, actually I was surprised to find the substaniated facts to show that the 90's was a time of rage. The book mentioned a bombing of the World Trade center, the Waco, Texas cult raid, the Oklahoma City bombing, the 1991 race-relited violence in Los Angelos with four white police violently beating black Rodney King for speeding, and the Columbine High School incident about students bringing guns to school and shooting students and a teacher. I realized how violent all these incidents were to term the 90's as violent years.